Monday, January 27, 2014

Necrons Vs New (old) Tyranids

On Sunday 26th of Jan 2014 i had a game vs Neal from Laser Cut Card's new Nids. Using old tyranids and the new codex, we set out to see how they would fare vs my Necrons.

Here's what we had to say:


Neal:
Darryn and I played a 1500pt game yesterday with my very old nids using the new codex against his necrons

This was Big Guns Never Tire and we had 5 objectives, each worth 3 plus heavy were contesting and each worth 1VP.

From my side, trying to relearn how a tyranid army works, there is a lot to take into account.

The basic battle involved me charging forward concentrated on my left flank and trying to roll Darryn up. We were limited to 4 turns as the AGM was starting and it ended up being a close victory for the nids.

But some notes: synapse is important and a lot of the synapse creatures are fragile, which I learned to my cost. The tyrants and tyrant guard only have Sv4 so Darryn's Str7 weaponry went through them like butter.

The hormagants get +3" on their run roll which is great but if this gets them outside of synapse range then it quickly becomes not so great. It lead to a nice thematic moment as a wall of hormagants charged his isolated aegis that was manned by only 5 immortals, got shot up, fell back, regrouped in synapse and charged again.

My termagant and hormagants squads took a mauling but at 4pts each, they are great and I think they are the unsung heros of the new codex. We are going to play 2000 points next time and this should give us a greater range of creatures

 Darryn:
My Necrons performed brilliantly in this game, taking few casualties except a ghost ark, an annihilation barge and one or two warriors. however, not paying attention to his sneaking scoring cost me the game. At first i was in the lead, with first blood and the Tyrannofex going down to my warlord, giving me one point for the Big guns Never tire Mission. However, with Neal taking three objective points and taking down my Annihilation barge, he was left with ten points, and me on a miserable 8. As  Neal had mentioned, we ended the game early for the agm, me conceding halfway through his turn as there was almost no way i could have stolen a victory.

A further turn however...

The new Tyranids don't seem half as powerless as people seem to think. Sure Synapse is problematic, but with a decent setup you can have an entire fearless army, and with the amount of gaunst that Neal can put out, that is no mean feat!



looking forward to the 2000 pt game...

so stay tuned for the next one, which should be happening around mid Feb. On the 9th of Feb the DWGC and The Unseen Shoppe will be trying out a session of games together at the Shoppe's new Venue. On that day i will be playing against Mark's crazy Tau. I have not beaten them yet, and he is holding a grudge against me for beating him during the holiday's carnage game. Details on that coming soon!

No comments: