Thursday, July 26, 2012

The story so far....

Well as I mentioned in my last post, I've decided to start up this old thing again. Forgive me for being a bit scratchy at first, its been a while since I've sat down for more than five minutes to write down anything other than business notes. Most of the words that I've had to put on screen have been more along the lines of marketing shite for the restaurant I'm managing, and nothing to profound and/or too interesting actually; that is unless of course you find food specials interesting. I don't. Well I do in the context of work but, I still don't really think reading the latest 12 Prawn Special with Garlic Butter and Deep Fried Snails in Mozzarella to be a highlight of my day. Bring in the business minded and let them analyse the profit/loss ratio and implications on socio-economic factors. I just think it tastes good. Sometimes. Depends who's cooking it. Hmmm...

Anyways! So I thought I'd take the opportunity to explain my life nowadays; it has been about five years since my pilgrimage from the great city of steam, smoke and fun that is Johannesburg and I am now living in a sleepy little town known as Umkomaas, just down the South Coast of KZN. I say sleepy, cuz there isn't much action, but that isn't really the correct term. Most of the town's inhabitants are awake by six in the morning, EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK, and go about their routines. This is either because of the large Diving Industry, which requires most of those concerned to have their boats and equipment ready for the early dives, and also due to the rest having to work either in Durban, which is about +20km away or Sappi-Saiccor, a huge paper factory situated on the town's major tributary. Sappi is in all aspects a megalithic factory that requires round the clock work and is constantly pumping gases and destroying wood. One looks over the hill towards them at night and there is an unearthly red glow coming from them, much like Mount Doom.

And that is pretty much the town. When night falls, the drinking begins, if it hasn't already. Drinking and Diving are pretty much the only major activities in town. We don't have a Mall, except the one in Scottburgh, if you can call it that, we don't have any major shopping district; hell we don't even have a single traffic light in town. So hey, everyone gets drunk!

There are currently 15 purveyors of alcohol in this town: 3 Restaurants, 4 Pubs, 5 Bottlestores and 3 Shebeens. This may not seem like much, but when you consider that the town itself is maybe a tenth the size of say Edenvale, then that should put it into a bit of perspective. and thats all that people really do here.

I've been working at Waves Restaurant, which is situated right on the beach for now going on five years. started as a waiter to pass the time, became bar manager (which wasn't anything really) then
shop manager. This was under the rule of the previous owners. Things didn't go too well for them and in March 2011 they sold to two new guys, Rob and Rudi, guys who had worked together in corporate catering  for major companies in Mozambique, the DRC and other far off lands. When they took over, they bought me along with it.

With their arrival came a few changes; firstly I got settled in as a full manager, running the shop for them and doing all the jobs managers are supposed to do, whereas before I was nothing more than a gloried waiter. It became fun. It still is. You'll probably see me complaining about it a few times in my blog, but that is more a sense of self entitlement than the truth. I love my job. If i didn't, I wouldn't be there.

I work six days a week, from open (8:00 or 7:00) to close ( earliest 21:00) and i get to stare out of a window looking directly onto the ocean. The shop is beautiful. You should check it out. I designed the web page myself. Yip, thats why it looks sheeedy!!

And when I'm not working? Gamezzzzzz....

I haven't played D&D, Warhammer, Vampire, Magic or any of what I used to play in ages. I miss it. I still by the Warhammer 40k codeces when I can and you'll often see me staring longingly at the Games Workshop website pondering which Necron I should buy when i get the time and money. I really really miss it. Damn i miss it....

In the meantime I amuse myself with my PS3 and PC. I subscribe to NAG, and keep my Lazygamers APP fully updated. My twitter feed is constantly spamming me gaming news.

So my intention for this blog is to throw out as much gaming shite as is possible. give my views on the industry, have some aggravation, comment, and generally talk shit. I might come up with some more creative stuff every now and then, and forgive me if i do, but then this is my blog, not yours, so buggr'off!! no wait, stay, read this!

So if you are reading this and wanna join me on the new Eon-Blue-Apocalypse journey, then welcome! Lets see where it goes....

(ps: Ive got another post i'm gonna put up later. Its gonna explain some of my actions on FB and twitter over the last few weeks, so stay tuned)

1 comment:

Odd said...

mmm.... deep fried profit/loss ratio with garlic butter.